Explore Ljubljana's charm in 48 hours
Discover the charm of Slovenia's capital city in Ljubljana.
03 May 2023
Ljubljana is a charming, picturesque city with a relaxed vibe and friendly locals. With its stunning architecture, scenic riverfront, and vibrant cultural scene, it's the perfect destination for a laid-back city break. Whether you want to explore historic landmarks, sample local cuisine, or simply soak up the atmosphere in a riverside cafe, Ljubljana has something to offer every traveler.
Getting latest place information
- Hotel: Grand Hotel Union
- Start your day with a coffee at the charming Café Čokl
- Stroll through the Old Town and visit the Ljubljana Castle for panoramic views
- Visit the famous dragon bridge and admire the mythology of the city
- Try traditional Slovenian dishes at Gostilna As and enjoy a glass of wine
- Walk along the Ljubljanica river and stop at the stunning Prešeren Square
- End your day at the Metelkova neighborhood, a vibrant arts and music community
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast at the Open Kitchen Market on Pogačarjev Square
- Take a day trip to the stunning Lake Bled and swim in its crystal clear waters
- Visit the Ljubljana Central Market for fresh produce and handmade crafts
- Try a traditional Burek pastry at Pekarna Osem
- Explore the Tivoli Park, the green heart of Ljubljana
- End your day with a sunset drink at Nebotičnik, the tallest building in the city offering stunning views of Ljubljana
- Spend two days in Ljubljana and immerse yourself in the city's history, natural beauty, and rich culinary culture. From exploring the winding streets of the Old Town to enjoying stunning views from the Ljubljana Castle, this itinerary ensures something for everyone. With locally sourced produce and traditional dishes, dining out takes on a new meaning, and the city is an adventure waiting to be explored.
How to get there
The best way to get to Ljubljana, Slovenia by plane is by flying into Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport, which is located approximately 26 km north of the city center. Major airlines such as Air France, Lufthansa, and Turkish Airlines offer direct flights to Ljubljana from various cities throughout Europe.
Driving to Ljubljana is a great option for those who want to explore the country at their own pace. The best route to Ljubljana from other European countries is via the A2/E61 motorway. However, be aware that tolls are required when using the motorway.
Although there are no direct trains to Ljubljana from other countries, taking the train to the city is still possible. The best option is to take the train to one of the nearby cities such as Salzburg, Graz or Venice, and then transfer to a train that goes to Ljubljana. The main train station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Railway Station.
Although Slovenia is a landlocked country, there are still opportunities to take a boat to Ljubljana. The Ljubljanica River runs through the city, and visitors can take boat tours along the river to see the city from a different perspective. These tours typically depart from the Ljubljana City Centre.
Taking the bus to Ljubljana is a popular and affordable option. Eurolines provides bus services from various European cities to Ljubljana. The main bus station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Bus Station, which is located just outside the city center.