Discover the Magic of Alcalá De Henares
Discover the birthplace of Cervantes and immerse yourself in Spanish history in Alcalá de Henares.
22 April 2023
As a tourist, a trip to Alcalá de Henares offers the opportunity to explore the historic birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quixote. Visitors can stroll through the charming old town, filled with medieval architecture and winding cobblestone streets, and marvel at the stunning Cathedral of Santos Niños. Additionally, the city boasts numerous museums and cultural events, including the prestigious Cervantes Prize ceremony.
Day trip plan
Getting latest place information
- Begin your day with a traditional breakfast of churros and chocolate at Chocolatería San Ginés.
- Stroll through the charming historic center of Alcalá de Henares, where you'll find well-preserved buildings from the city's golden age as a center of learning.
- Don't miss the birthplace of acclaimed writer Miguel de Cervantes, an atmospheric museum that brings his works to life.
- Browse the bustling outdoor market in Plaza de Cervantes, where you'll find everything from fresh produce to artisan crafts.
- Refuel with a hearty lunch at Restaurante El Callejón, where the seasonal menu highlights the best of Castilian cuisine.
- End your day with a sunset stroll along the banks of the Henares River, soaking in the serene beauty of this hidden gem.
How to get there
The best way to get to Alcalá de Henares by plane is to fly into Madrid-Barajas Airport and then take the Cercanías Line C-1 train to Alcalá de Henares station.
If you are planning on driving to Alcalá de Henares, the best way is to take the A-2 highway from Madrid.
If you're traveling within Spain, the best way to reach Alcalá de Henares by train is to take the Cercanías Line C-2 from Madrid's Atocha Station to Alcalá de Henares station.
Unfortunately, there are no direct boat routes to Alcalá de Henares as it is a landlocked city.
A popular option to reach Alcalá de Henares by bus is to take the ALSA bus from Madrid's Estación Sur de Autobuses to Alcalá de Henares bus station.