Glasgow Getaway: Culture, Cuisine, and Cairn
Explore the vibrant cultural heart of Scotland in Glasgow!
22 April 2023
A trip to Glasgow, United Kingdom as a tourist is an opportunity to witness the unique blend of Victorian and contemporary architecture. The city is situated on the River Clyde and offers a mix of art, music, and gastronomy. A visit to Glasgow can be made all the more special with a tour of its many museums, parks, galleries, and of course, the world-famous Glasgow Cathedral.
Day trip plan
Getting latest place information
- Start your day with a hearty traditional Scottish breakfast at café Gandolfi, located in the trendy Merchant City area.
- Walk to George Square, the heart of Glasgow's city center, and take some pictures with the impressive City Chambers building in the background.
- Visit the Glasgow School of Art, an architectural masterpiece designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. You can also check out the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
- Head to the trendy West End neighborhood, where you can find the beautiful Botanic Gardens and enjoy a stroll along the River Kelvin.
- End your day with a pint of local beer and some live music at Nice 'N' Sleazy, a legendary Glasgow institution.
- Places to eat:
- Café Gandolfi (traditional Scottish breakfast)
- The Hanoi Bike Shop (Vietnamese street food)
- The Ubiquitous Chip (Scottish cuisine)
- Singl-end Café and Bakehouse (brunch)
- Paesano Pizza (Neapolitan-style pizza)
- BrewDog (craft beer)
- Places to visit:
- George Square
- Glasgow School of Art
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Botanic Gardens
- River Kelvin
- Nice 'N' Sleazy
How to get there
The best way to get to Glasgow by plane is to fly into Glasgow International Airport, which is located about 10 miles west of the city center. Multiple airlines operate flights to Glasgow International from various cities around the world. From the airport, you can take a taxi, bus, or train to get to the city center.
The best way to get to Glasgow by car is to take the M8 motorway, which connects Glasgow to other major cities in Scotland and northern England. However, be aware that traffic can be heavy during peak travel times, and parking in the city center can be difficult.
There are multiple train stations located in Glasgow, but the best way to get there by train is to take the West Coast Main Line to Glasgow Central Station. Trains run regularly from major cities like London, Manchester, and Edinburgh. Glasgow Central Station is located in the heart of the city and is within walking distance of many attractions.
While there is no direct way to get to Glasgow by boat, you can take a ferry to other cities in Scotland and then travel to Glasgow from there. For example, you can take a ferry from Belfast, Northern Ireland to Cairnryan, Scotland, and then drive or take public transportation to Glasgow.
The best way to get to Glasgow by bus is to take a coach operated by National Express, which runs from cities across the UK. Coaches arrive and depart from Buchanan Bus Station, which is located in the city center. From the bus station, you can take a taxi or public transportation to get to your final destination in Glasgow.