Escape for a Romantic Weekend in Aachen, Germany
Fall in love with Aachen's charming streets and historic romance.
22 April 2023
Aachen, Germany is a perfect destination for a romantic trip. With its picturesque streets, beautiful architecture, and historical landmarks, Aachen offers a charming and intimate atmosphere. Take a stroll through the Old Town area, explore the Aachen Cathedral, and enjoy local delicacies while immersing yourself in the rich culture of the city.
Getting latest place information
- Hotel recommendation: Hotel Lousberg
- Begin your morning with a visit to Aachen Cathedral, a stunning architectural wonder with intricate details and history.
- Head over to the Centre Charlemagne Museum to learn more about the city's history and culture, as well as the legacy of Charlemagne, the famous King of the Franks.
- Stroll through the beautiful Old Town and marvel at the charming half-timbered houses which will transport you to a bygone era.
- For lunch, stop by the quaint restaurant Zum Goldenen Einhorn, which serves up traditional German fare in a cozy atmosphere.
- In the afternoon, head to the Couven Museum, located in a restored 18th-century house, to admire the rococo furniture and décor.
- Finish the day with a romantic candlelit dinner at the Michelin starred restaurant La Becasse, where you can indulge in fine dining with a contemporary twist.
- Hotel recommendation: INNSIDE by Melia Aachen
- Start off the day with a leisurely breakfast at Café Kittel and sample the local Aachen specialtyAachener Printen.
- Explore the outdoors by visiting the idyllic Lousberg Park for a relaxing stroll amongst the greenery and taking in the panoramic view.
- Experience the rejuvenating effects of the city's thermal baths at the Carolus Thermen spa, equipped with saunas, steam baths and thermal pools.
- For lunch, head to the trendy food hall Markthalle Aachen, which offers a variety of local and international delicacies.
- In the afternoon, discover the city's art scene at the Ludwig Forum, a contemporary art museum showcasing a diverse range of exhibits.
- End the day with a romantic dinner at Hangover Restaurant & Cocktailbar, which serves modern European cuisine in a sleek and atmospheric setting.
How to get there
The best way to get to Aachen by plane is to fly into the Cologne-Bonn Airport and take a connecting train or bus to Aachen.
Driving to Aachen is possible and there are good connections to major highways from neighboring countries. However, be prepared for heavy traffic and limited parking options in the city center.
A direct train to Aachen can be taken from various cities in Germany, including Cologne and Dusseldorf. The Aachen Hauptbahnhof is the main train station in Aachen.
There are no boat options to reach Aachen as it is not located on a major body of water.
Taking a bus to Aachen from major European cities like Brussels, Amsterdam, or Paris is a convenient and affordable option. The Aachen central bus station is located in the city center.