Amersfoort in 3 Days: History, Art, and Nature
Discover the charming historic city of Amersfoort.
03 May 2023
Amersfoort, Netherlands is a charming and historic city located in the heart of the country. As a tourist, you can explore the medieval city center, visit the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwetoren tower, and take a relaxing boat tour along the canals. With its picturesque streets, unique architecture, and rich cultural heritage, Amersfoort is a must-see destination for anyone visiting the Netherlands.
Getting latest place information
- Check-in at the charming Hotel de Tabaksplant, located in the heart of the city.
- Begin the day by visiting the iconic Koppelpoort—the picturesque gate structure that served as a defense mechanism for the city in the medieval era.
- Take a stroll through the old town and admire the medieval architecture of the Muurhuizen—the picturesque homes that once formed part of the city wall, now transformed into residences.
- Get up close and personal with the Golden Sturgeon, the oldest stone-built home in the city, and learn about its fascinating history.
- End the evening by savoring some authentic Dutch cuisine at the cozy restaurant De Vier Broers, renowned for its traditional flavors.
- Start the day with a visit to the Mondriaanhuis—a museum dedicated to the life and art of the internationally renowned artist and Amersfoort native, Piet Mondriaan.
- Head to the Flehite Museum to discover the history of Amersfoort and its cultural heritage.
- Take a stroll through the charming Hof district, where you can admire the historical buildings and galleries housing various artworks and crafts.
- Shop for unique souvenirs at the Saturday market, where you can find everything from local cheese and wine to handmade crafts and trinkets.
- Wrap up the day by enjoying an exquisite dinner at the chic bistro Het Lokaal, known for its farm-to-table cuisine and locally sourced ingredients.
- Treat yourself to a rejuvenating morning at Wellness Center Amersfoort, where you can indulge in sauna rooms, baths, and massages.
- Take a peaceful walk through the stunning nature reserve Soesterduinen, located just a few kilometers from the city center, and breathe in the fresh forest air.
- Explore the city through a canal tour, taking in the sights and sounds of Amersfoort from a new perspective.
- Have a delightful lunch at the Green Leafy Vegetable, a vegetarian restaurant famous for its delicious salads and fresh juices.
- Spend the evening enjoying drinks at the cozy and lively bar de Dikke Koning, known for its friendly service and laidback atmosphere.
How to get there
The best way to get to Amersfoort, Netherlands by plane is to fly to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and take a direct train to Amersfoort station. The train journey takes approximately 30-40 minutes.
Amersfoort is easily accessible by car, as it is located near the A1, A28, and A30 highways. Parking is available at various locations in and around the city centre.
Amersfoort station is one of the main railway stations in the Netherlands, making it easily accessible by train. There are direct trains from Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam, and other major Dutch cities. Check NS.nl for schedules and fares.
Amersfoort is not accessible by boat, as it is not connected to any major waterways.
Buses run regularly from Amsterdam and other cities in the Netherlands to Amersfoort. Check Arriva.nl for schedules and fares. The bus station is located next to Amersfoort station.