Arnhem Adventures: Family Fun, History, and Scenic Delights
Explore Arnhem: A Dutch adventure awaits with endless family fun.
19 July 2023
Arnhem, located in the heart of the Netherlands, offers a perfect family-friendly trip with a blend of history, nature, and entertainment. Visit the famous Openlucht Museum, an open-air museum showcasing Dutch cultural heritage, where children can participate in interactive exhibits and enjoy the historic tram rides. Explore the Hoge Veluwe National Park, where kids can cycle through stunning landscapes and even spot wildlife, or head to the Burgers' Zoo, home to a wide array of animals and interactive exhibits, providing an exciting and educational experience for the whole family.
Getting latest place information
- Start your day with a yummy Dutch breakfast at your family-friendly hotel, like fluffy pancakes, savory cheese, and unlimited sprinkles!
- Visit the historic Burgers' Zoo, where you can meet curious creatures from around the world and even dodge a cheeky monkey or two.
- Take a stroll through the enchanting Sonsbeek Park, where you'll find hidden nooks, picturesque ponds, and possibly a fairy or two.
- Grab a quick bite at a Dutch pancake house, where you can indulge in both sweet and savory pancake creations. Don't forget the stroopwafel ice cream topping!
- Immerse yourself in history at the Airborne Museum, learning about the heroic Battle of Arnhem while getting goosebumps from chilling war stories.
- End your day with a charming canal boat ride, admiring the quaint houses and stunning views of Arnhem. Don't forget to wave to the ducks!
- Start your day with a hearty breakfast at a cozy local café, fueling up for an adventurous day ahead.
- Go on a family bike ride through Hoge Veluwe National Park, spotting wild animals and embracing the wind in your hair—don't forget your helmet!
- Take a break for a delightful picnic amidst the park's serene landscapes, enjoying a spread of cheese, bread, and tasty Dutch pastries.
- Explore the Kröller-Müller Museum, housing an impressive collection of Van Gogh masterpieces and stunning sculptures scattered throughout the park.
- Treat yourselves to a well-deserved ice cream break at De Steenen Camer, with unique flavors like licorice and stroopwafel that will make your taste buds dance.
- Indulge in a cozy dinner at a traditional Dutch restaurant, savoring authentic dishes like stamppot and bitterballen while sharing laughter and stories together.
- *No summary paragraph needed as per instructions.
How to get there
The best way to get to Arnhem by plane is to fly into Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and then take a direct train to Arnhem from the airport train station. The train ride takes approximately 1 hour.
Arnhem is easily accessible by car, with the A12 and A50 highways connecting it to major cities in the Netherlands and Germany. The city has several parking garages and on-street parking is also available, although it can be difficult to find a spot in the city center.
If you are coming from within the Netherlands or neighboring countries, the best way to get to Arnhem is by train. There are direct train connections to major cities in the Netherlands and Germany. Arnhem Centraal is the main train station in Arnhem.
While there are no direct boat services to Arnhem, you can take a boat along the Rhine river and get off at a nearby city, such as Nijmegen or Rotterdam. From there, you can take a train or bus to Arnhem.
There are several bus companies that operate services to Arnhem from different parts of the Netherlands and neighboring countries. Flixbus and Eurolines are popular choices. The bus will drop you off at the Arnhem bus station, which is located next to the Arnhem Centraal train station.