Ljubljana Unleashed: A Perfect 3-Day Family Adventure!
Discover family bliss in Ljubljana, Slovenia's enchanting playground!
19 July 2023
Ljubljana, the quaint capital of Slovenia, offers a perfect combination of history, culture, and family-friendly attractions. Explore the enchanting lanes of the Old Town, where charming cafés and boutiques line the streets. Admire the iconic Ljubljana Castle, take a leisurely boat ride along the Ljubljanica River, and visit Tivoli Park for a day filled with playgrounds, bike trails, and beautiful picnic spots. With its welcoming atmosphere and diverse activities, Ljubljana is an ideal destination for a memorable family getaway.
Getting latest place information
- Start your day with a scrumptious brunch at Café Čokl, a cozy spot offering mouthwatering pancakes and heavenly hot drinks.
- Embark on a delightful walking tour through the charming streets of Ljubljana's Old Town, where fairytale-like buildings compete for attention.
- Cross the famous Triple Bridge and pay a visit to Prešeren Square, where lovestruck locals and statues of poets dot the landscape.
- Climb up to Ljubljana Castle, an iconic fortress perched atop a hill, to enjoy breathtaking views of the city while channeling your inner knight or princess.
- Treat yourself to a well-deserved dinner at Gostilna As, a traditional Slovenian restaurant where you can indulge in hearty local dishes like potica and Kranjska klobasa.
- Start your day with a picnic breakfast at Tivoli Park, Ljubljana's green lung, which offers endless lawns, peaceful pathways, and even a charming rose garden.
- Explore the unique Dragon Bridge, adorned with fierce dragon statues, and learn the legend of the city's dragon protectors.
- Venture to the vibrant Central Market, where you can mingle with locals, sample delicious Slovenian treats, and pick up some fresh fruit for a midday snack.
- Take a boat tour along the Ljubljanica River, offering a magical perspective of the city's picturesque waterfront and enchanting bridges.
- End your day with a tranquil sunset stroll through the Ljubljana Marshes, a serene natural area just outside the city, where you can spot herons and soak up the peaceful atmosphere.
- Start your day with a visit to the impressive Museum of Illusions, where optical illusions, mind-bending puzzles, and mind-boggling exhibits will surely leave you perplexed.
- Wander through the alternative neighborhood of Metelkova, a vibrant hub of graffiti, art installations, and unique cultural spaces that will ignite your creative side.
- Visit the National Gallery of Slovenia, home to a vast collection of Slovenian art, encompassing everything from medieval masterpieces to contemporary creations.
- Indulge in a delicious late lunch at Druga Violina, a cozy restaurant that supports individuals with disabilities and serves scrumptious traditional Slovenian dishes.
- Finish your trip by immersing yourself in the fascinating world of puppets at the Ljubljana Puppet Theatre, where enchanting performances will captivate both young and old.
How to get there
The best way to get to Ljubljana, Slovenia by plane is by flying into Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport, which is located approximately 26 km north of the city center. Major airlines such as Air France, Lufthansa, and Turkish Airlines offer direct flights to Ljubljana from various cities throughout Europe.
Driving to Ljubljana is a great option for those who want to explore the country at their own pace. The best route to Ljubljana from other European countries is via the A2/E61 motorway. However, be aware that tolls are required when using the motorway.
Although there are no direct trains to Ljubljana from other countries, taking the train to the city is still possible. The best option is to take the train to one of the nearby cities such as Salzburg, Graz or Venice, and then transfer to a train that goes to Ljubljana. The main train station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Railway Station.
Although Slovenia is a landlocked country, there are still opportunities to take a boat to Ljubljana. The Ljubljanica River runs through the city, and visitors can take boat tours along the river to see the city from a different perspective. These tours typically depart from the Ljubljana City Centre.
Taking the bus to Ljubljana is a popular and affordable option. Eurolines provides bus services from various European cities to Ljubljana. The main bus station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Bus Station, which is located just outside the city center.