A Whimsical Day Trip to Ljubljana's Fairytale Charm
Discover the magic of Ljubljana, an enchanting family adventure awaits!
19 July 2023
Ljubljana, the capital city of Slovenia, offers an ideal destination for a family-friendly trip. The city boasts a delightful medieval old town with car-free streets, making it safe and accessible for families to explore. Visitors can enjoy various child-friendly attractions, such as the striking Ljubljana Castle, the Dragon Bridge, and the lush Tivoli Park, providing a mix of cultural experiences and outdoor adventures for all ages.
Day trip plan
Getting latest place information
- Start your day at the vibrant Central Market, where locals sell their produce don't miss the mouthwatering honey and juicy cherries!
- Take a leisurely stroll along the Ljubljanica River, crossing charming bridges and enjoying the colorful facades of the buildings.
- Climb up the medieval Ljubljana Castle, peering into its ancient dungeons and savoring panoramic views of the city from the tower.
- For a dose of whimsy, head to Metelkova Mesto, a lively alternative art district filled with graffiti-covered walls and quirky sculptures.
- Treat your taste buds at Open Kitchen, a weekly food market where you can sample mouthwatering Slovenian delicacies, like potica and štruklji.
- Cap off the day with a boat tour down the river, gliding beneath the dragon-adorned Triple Bridge as the sun sets over Ljubljana's picturesque skyline.
How to get there
The best way to get to Ljubljana, Slovenia by plane is by flying into Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport, which is located approximately 26 km north of the city center. Major airlines such as Air France, Lufthansa, and Turkish Airlines offer direct flights to Ljubljana from various cities throughout Europe.
Driving to Ljubljana is a great option for those who want to explore the country at their own pace. The best route to Ljubljana from other European countries is via the A2/E61 motorway. However, be aware that tolls are required when using the motorway.
Although there are no direct trains to Ljubljana from other countries, taking the train to the city is still possible. The best option is to take the train to one of the nearby cities such as Salzburg, Graz or Venice, and then transfer to a train that goes to Ljubljana. The main train station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Railway Station.
Although Slovenia is a landlocked country, there are still opportunities to take a boat to Ljubljana. The Ljubljanica River runs through the city, and visitors can take boat tours along the river to see the city from a different perspective. These tours typically depart from the Ljubljana City Centre.
Taking the bus to Ljubljana is a popular and affordable option. Eurolines provides bus services from various European cities to Ljubljana. The main bus station in Ljubljana is the Ljubljana Bus Station, which is located just outside the city center.