4 Days of Fun and Culture in Bilbao, Spain
Experience the vibrant culture and stunning architecture of Bilbao, Spain.
22 April 2023
Bilbao, located in northern Spain, is a vibrant city filled with stunning architecture, museums, parks, and delicious cuisine. Don't miss visiting the iconic Guggenheim Museum, exploring the old town's narrow streets, or tasting the local delicacies at the bustling food markets. Whether you're seeking art, culture, or cuisine, Bilbao offers an unforgettable vacation.
Getting latest place information
- Check in at the stylish Hotel Carlton for a comfortable stay in the heart of the city
- Stroll through the charming Casco Viejo, the medieval old town with narrow alleys and historic buildings
- Visit the iconic Santiago Cathedral and browse the antique shops and quirky boutiques nearby
- Enjoy a pintxo bar crawl in Plaza Nueva, sampling the delicious Basque tapas like txistorra and gildas
- Catch a stunning sunset from the Artxanda funicular, which offers panoramic views of the city and river
- Start the day with a hearty breakfast at Café Iruña, a historic café with ornate decor and delicious pastries
- Explore the world-renowned Guggenheim Museum, with its striking architecture and impressive art collection
- Visit the Azkuna Zentroa cultural center, housed in a transformed wine warehouse, for exhibitions, cinema and theater
- Discover the unique Euskal Museoa, a museum dedicated to the fascinating Basque Culture and history
- Enjoy a traditional Basque lunch at Restaurante Gure Toki, known for its authentic atmosphere and mouth-watering dishes
- Take a day trip to the nearby surf town of Mundaka, with its world-class surf breaks and scenic coastline
- Rent a surfboard and wetsuit and hit the waves, or try stand-up paddleboarding or kayaking
- Explore the charming village and visit the Gothic-style Santa Catalina church and the picturesque port
- Take in the stunning views from the nearby lighthouse and enjoy a picnic on the beach
- savor the freshest seafood at Restaurante Portuondo, known for its grilled fish and paella by the sea
- Visit the nearby Rioja wine region for a day of wine tasting and vineyard tours
- Sample the award-winning Rioja vintages and learn about the wine-making process
- Enjoy a gourmet lunch at a winery, with delicious Basque cuisine paired with the finest wines
- Return to Bilbao and indulge in a pintxo feast at Zubiburu, a cozy bar with innovative daily specials
- End the trip on a high note with a nightcap at the trendy Café La Granja 1894, a local favorite for cocktails and live music.
How to get there
The best way to get to Bilbao by plane is to fly to Bilbao Airport, which is located approximately 12 kilometers north of the city center. Many major airlines offer direct flights to Bilbao from cities across Europe and beyond.
Traveling by car is a convenient way to explore the Basque Country, including Bilbao. Visitors can rent a car from major cities such as San Sebastian or explore the area on a self-guided road trip.
While there are no direct train services to Bilbao from other parts of Europe, travelers can take a high-speed train to nearby cities such as San Sebastian or Vitoria-Gasteiz and then transfer to a local train or bus bound for Bilbao.
While there are no direct boat services to Bilbao, travelers can take a ferry from the UK or France to Santander or other port cities in northern Spain and then travel to Bilbao by train or bus.
Buses are a popular and affordable way to travel to Bilbao from other cities in Spain and beyond. Major bus companies such as ALSA and Eurolines offer services to Bilbao from cities such as Madrid, Barcelona, and Paris.