Bilbao's Family-Friendly Adventure: Art, Food, and Fun!
Discover Bilbao's vibrant culture and family fun in the heart of Spain.
19 July 2023
Bilbao, located in northern Spain, offers a perfect setting for a fun-filled family vacation. Known for its stunning architecture and vibrant culture, the city is home to the world-famous Guggenheim Museum, offering an exciting blend of art and interactive exhibits suitable for all ages. Additionally, families can explore beautiful parks, enjoy delicious local cuisine, and even visit Bilbao's nearby beaches, ensuring a memorable and family-friendly trip to this charming Spanish destination.
Day trip plan
Getting latest place information
- Start your day with a visit to the iconic Guggenheim Museum, a gleaming titanium-clad masterpiece of modern art that'll make your eyes pop and your brain somersault with visual excitement.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the Nervión River and marvel at the futuristic architecture that blends harmoniously with Bilbao's industrial charm.
- Grab a quick snack at the Mercado de la Ribera, a bustling market where you can feast on local delicacies like pintxos, bite-sized heaven on a stick.
- Hike up to Mount Artxanda and be rewarded with sweeping views of the city below and a warm embrace from the legendary BILBAO sign, the city's sassy mascot.
- Dive into Basque history at the Casco Viejo, the charming old quarter filled with narrow streets, quirky shops, and pintxo bars that'll make your taste buds high-five your brain.
- End your day at Playa de la Zurriola, grab a blanket and have a family picnic on the sandy shores while basking in the beautiful sunset that paints the sky with colors you never knew existed.
How to get there
The best way to get to Bilbao by plane is to fly to Bilbao Airport, which is located approximately 12 kilometers north of the city center. Many major airlines offer direct flights to Bilbao from cities across Europe and beyond.
Traveling by car is a convenient way to explore the Basque Country, including Bilbao. Visitors can rent a car from major cities such as San Sebastian or explore the area on a self-guided road trip.
While there are no direct train services to Bilbao from other parts of Europe, travelers can take a high-speed train to nearby cities such as San Sebastian or Vitoria-Gasteiz and then transfer to a local train or bus bound for Bilbao.
While there are no direct boat services to Bilbao, travelers can take a ferry from the UK or France to Santander or other port cities in northern Spain and then travel to Bilbao by train or bus.
Buses are a popular and affordable way to travel to Bilbao from other cities in Spain and beyond. Major bus companies such as ALSA and Eurolines offer services to Bilbao from cities such as Madrid, Barcelona, and Paris.